Thursday, December 18, 2008

Old Friends, Young Hearts!


Meeting my childhood friend recently reminded me that we are not long gone from our childhood. On the outside we may look - shall I say, “old” - as our bodies display the sometimes unkind natural phenomenon of aging. But on the inside, we usually feel much younger. We’re closer to our memories. They feel as fresh as yesterday in some instances. Actually, it’s easier sometimes to remember scenes from my childhood than it is to recall what I had for dinner last night! (I'm the one with the ice cream!)

I don’t know about you, but inside I’m still a kid at heart. Despite the nicks and bites and bruises that life has inflicted upon me, I’m still tender and innocent in my spirit. In fact, I’ve told a few people that when I paint my self-portrait someday, this is how it will look: I’m seven years old, bare footed and freckled, maybe with a couple of teeth missing. My pigtails and a loose dress I’m wearing blow in the wind as I pump myself higher and higher on a rope swing hung from a gnarled tree branch! (This picture of a 2009 calendar I just got somewhat reminds me of that scene!)

I’ve always had that spirit of adventure, albeit somewhat of a tomboy, as I wanted to go everywhere and try everything, to explore, taste and see what the world was all about! My mother and father could have shared a few wild stories to vouch for that! (My sister's on stilts, but we each had a pair.)

To help you “think young” today and refresh your spirit with a wash of that wonder, innocence and inquisitiveness you may have left behind, here are a few pictures from way back when for you to enjoy. I’ve had to take pictures of the pictures with my digital camera in order to upload this to you. I’m telling you that because I’d love to receive some of your favorite pictures of childhood memories if you care to share them with me, along with the stories behind the pictures. You are welcome to email them to me at: loisgallo555@ yahoo.com.

Just a thought to reflect on today:

Be happy, young man, while you are young, and let your heart give you joy in the days of your youth. Follow the ways of your heart and whatever your eyes see, but know that for all these things God will bring you to judgment.

Remember your Creator in the days of your youth, before the days of trouble come and the years approach when you will say, "I find no pleasure in them.” (that is, before you grow old and can’t enjoy your days as much!) - Ecclesiastes 11:9, 12:1

The rest of the chapter goes on to talk about the aging process in very poetic language, when we lose our teeth, our sight and hearing and other bodily functions, and then return to dust.

So let’s not lose heart or squander a day or a memory in our numbered days! Let’s be sure to leave the legacy that would be most meaningful in the big picture of eternity. That may just mean living in the here and now, enjoying the present moment for all it’s worth, with its simple pleasures! And it may even include thinking young thoughts, or sharing treasured times with a loved one...
(I'm the one on the bottom!)

No comments: