Thursday, December 4, 2008

Nativity Activity

It’s always a delight for me to see neighbors and business owners displaying the Nativity scene in some fashion. As I’ve driven by some places, I’ve snapped a few shots as inspiration and documentation that people still know the reason for the season!

When I was down at the oceanfront recently, I snapped this picture of the Nativity scene as part of the Holiday Lights at the Beach celebration. You can drive your car down the Boardwalk and enjoy the light show for about a mile or so. Although the scene wasn't lit up when I took it, hopefully you can imagine how it might appear at night with all its lights! Here is a link for more pictures and information: http://www.beachstreetusa.com/festivals-and-events/mcdonalds-holiday-lights-beach-presented-verizon-wireless

I spotted this in my neighborhood on the way to a friend’s house. A lot of activity was happening in this yard! To the left of this focal picture was another whole scenario, including a strung up helicopter with blades whirling and flashing as it overlooked the Nativity scene! But I was happy to see that even in the midst of all the busyness and technology, Christ was still the center!

And now a more traditional Nativity scene: I discovered this at my friend’s house. A lovely peaceful and meaningful scene taking me back to that first night at the innkeeper’s barn…

When we think of the Nativity scene this year, perhaps we can be reminded that no matter how fast-paced some things become, we can instantly be transported to the beauty and significance of the night when it all began in an unpretentious place, snuggled in the hay of a feeding trough bed. Jesus became the food for our souls, the Bread of Life, to give us our daily nourishment, and all that we’d ever need.

I don’t know about you, but it makes me want to bow on humbled knees before the Christ Child and the Maker of Heaven and Earth in gratefulness for all he’s done for me and you.

No comments: