Friday, December 19, 2008

Doggie Lessons

It seems this week that I have been receiving several faith lessons from the animal kingdom.

The first message was the bumper sticker I mentioned in my post a couple days ago, reading: “Wag more, Bark less.” I guess you could say I am being reminded to hug others and smile more, embracing them as they are. This is preferred to being so involved in my own world that I enter talking, instead of listening, accepting and perceiving. I could rephrase this “Embrace more, Chatter less” or “Love more, Judge less.”

The next message was a video a friend sent to me that she titled “Peace.” This is an interesting modern day interpretation of the passage in Isaiah 11:6 about how, when peace returns, even the wild animals getting along with their natural enemies. Quite a picture! You can check the video out here: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=D85yrIgA4Nk

The last message I received was confirmed at my annual physical at the doctor’s office. The only area he said I needed to improve was in getting more exercise, so my cholesterol readings would be better. This was the clincher to me on an article I had just read which reminded me about having pets to keep you healthy! (You can read it here if you like: http://www.real-life-institute.com/articles.html - see “Links for your Good Health.”)

I had already written down my goal to walk more, and had started looking for a dog to help me accomplish a more active lifestyle. It’s easy as a writer to stay stuck in one position at the keyboard longer than is best when you’re in the flow! Although it can sometimes be a bother to have to take the dog out, I know the rewards are greater than the trouble.

It seems there are a few things we can learn from a dog’s life! Let’s wag a lot more, don’t bark unless it’s important, learn to put our differences aside to get along with even our enemies, and get the help we need for the health and perspective we want – all from a friend by our side!

If you know any sweet-tempered little Chihuahuas looking for a good home, let me know…! ;-)

P.S. You can see more cute animal pictures at: http://www.Real-Life-Institute.com/articles.html

No comments: