Friday, December 12, 2008

Girl Friend Time

This year a new friend and I decided to start a “GirlFriends Club.” We met at a Christian business networking luncheon and instantly hit it off. It was top of mind for both of us to grow a wider circle of other Christian women around us to whom we could just be ourselves, meet for girlfriend time together and support each other in whatever way was needed.

This week we met at one of the GF’s house for hors d’oeuvres and a gift exchange. It was another sweet time together, sharing food, thoughtful gifts, memories, joys, concerns, encouragement, prayers, and hugs.

There are only six of us in the group right now. It has been a great way to develop a tighter circle of safety and caring, as well as the opportunity to get to know each other better. As I’ve shared with some of my other friends about the girlfriends, many have expressed a wish to belong to such a group.

The beauty of it is in having a group where regular time is spent together with no pressures, no expectations or agendas. Everyone is accepted for who they are and encouraged to become more, as they let God work in the situations that arise in life.

If you are looking for the same kind of girlfriends club, I encourage you to reach out and start one. All it takes is the desire to be a friend and to have a friend. I just found one person who agreed with me, and we both invited one or two other people we thought would be a good fit with us.

It’s amazing what can happen in any project “when two or more agree” to move ahead. I expressed a delight in meeting my new friend and the instant connection we seemed to have. I also mentioned to her that I had prayed about how to start a girlfriends group. She surprised me by saying she had started one in the city she lived in before and wanted to do the same thing here! So God amazingly answered my prayer very quickly! And her prayer as well!

If you’ve been praying for God to send you just one close friend, why not try reaching out to bless others by finding friends for them too? This is basically what happened with the two of us. I suspect we've become closer friends because we share a common goal and purpose. I also suspect we’ll be widening our circle of friends in the new year. Each of us has other friends who’d like to experience this kind of connection and relationship. Why not spread the joy around?

For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them. – Matthew 18:20, NIV

Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken. - Ecclesiastes 4:12, NIV

No comments: