Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Baked with Love

It seems this past week there have been so many parties and events I’ve had to cook or bake something for.

Our ladies group had a bake sale on Sunday. Saturday I spent time researching the recipe I would make, then shopping for the rest of the ingredients I needed. The prep time took another hour and then the baking process went on with changing temperatures and timers, then checking till the pies were done. Considering all the time and energy I put into the end result, it would probably have been more beneficial to the organization and certainly freed me up more if I had just given them a donation to cover the ingredients and value of the time I spent!

I actually did think about doing that before I really began the process, but made a distinct decision to do this as a labor of love, as well as enjoying baking again. (I don’t often bake, as we rarely eat desserts or sweets.) As I put on some upbeat music and prepared the pies for the oven, I prayed blessings over the desserts for those who purchased and enjoyed them.

It got me to thinking about the routine tasks we have to do. We can choose to do them because we have to, or we can choose to do them as acts of service, with kindness, love and blessings flowing out to the recipients of our actions. Even if they don’t seem to notice or appreciate what we do, that’s alright. God knows our hearts. Just do it for yourself and enjoy having an orderly house and good healthful food to enjoy!

Maybe it’s time for a checkup. Are you blessing people as you prepare meals for them, or do laundry or clean? Or are you grumbling and complaining or thinking ugly thoughts about them or the process?

I acknowledge there are certainly times when things don’t go right when you’re in the kitchen cooking! In fact, the other night we had dinner guests and it seemed the things I served were overdone (more like burnt!). As I apologized and offered them something else instead, the guests said they actually liked the crispier texture and charcoal-y flavor! I guess it went well with the earthy flavors of the baby bella mushrooms and the wine we were enjoying! I appreciated the fact that my guests were gracious and accommodating. I was actually surprised when they had seconds and nothing was left at the end of the evening! But I promised them that my experiment next time would be to have them perfectly done and take a survey on which way they preferred them! Sometimes you just have to roll with the punches…

Today I encourage you to think about your attitudes and acts of service. May they be filled will love, generosity, kindness and gratitude. At least you have a kitchen, a house, people (or pets) to cook or clean for, when others may not be so blessed!
“For out of the overflow (or abundance) of the heart the mouth speaks.” - Matthew 12:34, NIV, my parens
“And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.” - Colossians 3:14, NIV

No comments: