Tuesday, October 7, 2008

"Zoning In & Out" in Historic Smithfield

Ever so often my husband and I like to get away for a short weekend trip. We enjoy exploring more of the beautiful area we live in, so like to find places an hour or two away to explore.

We just returned from a trip to Smithfield, Va. You guessed it! Home of Smithfield ham and also the Gwaltney line of meat products. We actually stayed in the Joseph Luter suite (he’s the founder of Smithfield Ham) at the Smithfield Inn, a historic Bed and Breakfast (B&B). Of course, we had to drive by the plant to see where and how large it was. There was even a special aroma of slightly smoked ham in the air, wafting through town when the breeze blew just right!

During the weekend there happened to be a mostly country music festival going on, with music in several outdoor parks during the day, and a main concert with Mike Aiken in the Smithfield Little Theatre in the evening. It was great strolling around Main Street in the historic district listening to music, enjoying art shops, gift and antique shops, cafes, and our favorite: the Olde World Tea Company. We chose some exotic tea blends for our iced tea tasting (Island Delight was my favorite) and headed for their lovely outdoor patio area to sip and breathe and enjoy strains of the outdoor music performers.

As the picture perfect day with blue skies, a few fluffy clouds and mid-seventies warmed our bodies and our hearts, I couldn’t help talking to everyone around about what a great place and a great day I was enjoying. Seems everyone else responded in kind! The townspeople were as excited about everyone discovering their well-kept secret as were the visitors to be experiencing it. Because of my "outgoingness," I managed to have a lot more fun, meet some cool people, learn some interesting things, and make some great connections that will lead to my return and showing my art in more locations.

Not only was it great to get away and breathe, relax and explore new things. I was also reminded once again that when you reach out to people, expect to have a great time, or are so full of good feelings that it can’t help but overflow to everyone you meet, you experience amazing things and serendipities that come into your path. I felt like I was in the “Happy Zone” the whole time there. I tend to believe there are no strangers - only friends I haven't met - and I'm usually excited to meet them all! ;-)

As the sun went down, we rocked awhile on the front porch of the Inn, then enjoyed a glass of wine in the garden restaurant in the side yard and chatted with a few people before we headed inside the gourmet restaurant on the premises.

In the morning, I was still in the Zone, as we headed off to Little Zion Baptist Church, where Steve knew the pastor. As expected, we were just about the only Caucasians in the house, but we got right into rockin’ and rollin’ in the flow of the spirit of love that permeated that wonderful country church. I think I received more hugs Sunday morning than I had gotten in one place for a long time! It was refreshing! And the music and preaching was genuine - from the heart and inspiring. (Link to: http://www.hmjr.com/Little%20Zion-2.htm )

I hope I have inspired you today to get more "zoned in" so the great things in you can flow out to more people to bless them - and then flow back to bless you more!

And if you are ready to "zone out," consider a quick getaway to Smithfield or somewhere you've not yet explored near your home.

Here’s the link to more pix of our trip: http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh15/real-lifepix/SmithfieldVA/?albumview=slideshow

Check out what’s going on in Smithfield! We loved it! The pace is much more relaxing than nearby Williamsburg, and a lot less commercial. Prices are great and the townsfolk and proprietors are friendly and helpful. In fact, I plan to be back and involved more in their arts program, especially the Second Fridays, in which I was invited to display my art.

For more Smithfield info, go here: http://www.smithfield-virginia.com/, http://www.smithfieldinn.com/, http://www.smithfieldstation.com/, http://www.shopsmithfield.com/, http://www.smithfieldarts.org/, http://www.oldeworldtea.com/

No comments: