Thursday, October 30, 2008

Nature's Perspectives

During our recent stay with my brother-in-law in Maryland, I enjoyed experiencing fall from a new perspective. Bob lives on a wooded 5-acre lot, so there are lots of “nature happenings” all around. As I enjoyed walking through the woods and around the property, admiring his recent landscaping projects, I took the time to observe natural life occurrences that one does not usually see every day, especially in the city or near the ocean. Armed with my trusty digital camera, I returned with lots of interesting photo treasures!

Often in life there are things going on in another world right around us that we aren’t even aware of. I want to share a few photos showing things that most people would miss on a walk through the woods.

If you look closely at this first photo, you should see a tiny frog in the middle. The only reason I even saw it was because he was jumping to get away from us – and I was looking, not talking!

Shortly, I came across this cobwebby blanket, holding drops of moisture over the leafy floor.

Sometimes you have to look closely to see real beauty, or a different kind of beauty. I have always loved moss. When I came across this mossy patch, I had to bend down to stroke it. In doing so, I saw the little moss hairs protruding upwards. I thought it would be interesting to take a picture of their profile, but my camera focused on the light and not the hairs, so this (below) is the picture I got. I was thinking this could be the perspective of most woodland creatures, especially the little frog.

Perhaps it’s time to change your perspective on things. Have you been stuck in the same old routine or focused on problems that don’t seem to go away? Sometimes just getting out of the routine, or changing the way you approach or look at something can make a huge difference in getting to “better” in your life. Have you tried asking God for his perspective on what’s going on? He sees the big picture – the whole woods – when we’re stuck in the moss or under the leaves.

“Cast all your anxiety on him for he cares for you.” - 1 Peter 5:7, NIV
“Call to me and I will answer and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.” - Jeremiah 33:3, NIV

No comments: