Wednesday, October 1, 2008

What Does Your Garden Produce?

Have you ever grown your own vegetable garden? Each year we try growing different vegetables to see what works the best with our climate and soil type. This year we grew several varieties of tomatoes as well as some okra, among other things.

I’ve learned a few lessons from each of them. I’ll talk “tomatoes” today and “okra” tomorrow.

Since we’ve had so much rain this summer, I haven’t been able to get out to the garden as often as I’d have liked in order to pick the great harvest we’ve had. In delaying, I’ve noticed there are many tomatoes that are bursting open and then rotting on the vine. They are wasted and beyond use for us as food, relegated to the garden critters that will recycle them.

The tomatoes remind me that time is of the essence for gathering the harvest. When the time is right to act or to speak truth into someone’s life, I need to move and do it or say it, as otherwise the harvest time may be past. My deeds or words will do no good later on, when I’ve waited too long.

It also works that way for my own life. There are certain things I need to do right away, before the time and opportunity is lost forever.

“Procrastination is a decision in disguise.”
– Lois Gallo

If I wait, I am saying that the result I reap of being proactive and making a decision to do something is not as important as the result I reap from doing nothing. Reflecting on the results or fruit of my life will give me clues on the decisions I need to become better and faster at making.

I see also that “Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life.” - Prov. 13:12, NIV

Reflect on these areas of truth as they apply to the results you are experiencing in your life – productive or not. Then focus on the results you want and make the appropriate decisions to take you there!

May your life be fruitful and bounteous as a tree of life!

No comments: