Monday, September 8, 2008

Jet Trails in the Sky

The Hampton Roads area where I live hosts a strong military presence. We have the largest East Coast master jet base (NAS Oceana), as well as a huge naval base (NOB Norfolk), besides several smaller military operations headquarters. Because of the Naval Air Station, in particular, and the large fleet of aircraft carrier docked here, we often see and hear naval aircraft (mostly jets) flying overhead. In some parts of the city the noise is quite loud. I remember living in such an area under the jet paths as a child and covering my ears with my hands when the planes flew over. Since then, I have seen many bumper stickers declaring: “I love jet noise! The sound of freedom!”

Not only do we have the military jets flying around, we have several airports, including the Norfolk international airport near my home. Not to mention smaller and private airstrips and the ever present news and traffic helicopters flying around. So our local sky seems always busy with air traffic.

With both the sights and sounds in the air, I look up in the sky often. On some days there are interesting patterns in the sky from the jet trails left behind. When the conditions are just right, the trails remain a lot longer in the atmosphere, and seem to widen out and then drift. I caught such an event with my camera the other day.

I was pondering this phenomenon and thought how interesting that it depends on the atmosphere and all the right conditions before the trails could be seen.

It reminded me that sometimes my life seems like that: that I may be flying all over the place, trying to make a difference, but not seeming to make much headway. Then other days, when the conditions are just right, and the wind of God (his spirit) blows, I leave a trail of where I’ve been that lingers for awhile, making more of a lasting impact. People seem more appreciative than at other times. I can look back and see that I’ve made a difference where I’ve been, and I thank God for those times He’s allowed the conditions to be just right in someone’s heart so a life could be touched.

I know I need to make sure to linger awhile with God each day, to make sure the conditions stay right in the atmosphere around me. I want to make sure he is able to blow me into the places I need to be to let him spread his love through me to others. I invite you to do the same. Then your life will have a more visible track that others will be attracted to as well!

No comments: