Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A Dog’s Life and Love

I recently had the pleasure and the gift of being a “Dogramma” for a week while some friends traveled. In case you’re wondering, a “Dogramma” is my version of being the grandma for a dog, because you can love it and spoil it and then get to give it back to its owners!

Alexis (Lexie for short) and I got on famously. I had not had a dog for a couple of years, since my Chihuahua died. It reminded me of the value of companionship and having another living thing (who adores you unconditionally!) to care for.

Taking care of a cute little animal has a way of getting you out of yourself and your normal routine and thought processes. You find yourself planning your day around feeding, playing and walking times. You want to make sure you’re back in time to be considerate of the pet’s capacity to wait to go out. It’s also nice to have that tactile tummy rubbing time they seem to love so much!

It reminded me of how much I sometimes miss playing and getting pampered in different ways. I certainly do have the opportunity and occasion for both, but don’t take the time to do either as often as perhaps I should.

The health benefits of having a pet are well-documented. I certainly enjoyed the fresh air and exercise, seeing more of the goings-on in the neighborhood, and talking to neighbors as I walked the dog.

A dog is always faithful and expectant of the best. No matter what we do as normal caring dog owners, or how long we're gone, they always run up to us wagging their tails and wanting to give and receive affection.

It reminds me of the unconditional love that God has for us. He is always faithful to us, always desiring that special time with us, wanting to pour his love out on us, waiting to receive our love from our full, whole hearts. As He gave the commandment to Moses and Jesus elaborated on it, He wants us to “love the Lord your God with all your heart, …your soul and …your mind” – and let’s not forget that when we do, we can much easier “love your neighbor as yourself.” - Matthew 22:37,39

Maybe it’s time to make like a dog and crawl up on God’s lap – and even get a little tummy rub and give a few doggy licks back! I am sure He would delight in your company, as you are just yourself – just spending time with Him, with no particular agenda.

Give it some thought, then go fetch!

No comments: