Monday, November 3, 2008

Take A Walk on the Wild Side!


I don’t know about you, but I’m addicted to nature and fascinated with all the interesting creatures and growing things I come across from day to day! I continue to be amazed with different bugs and birds and animals that enter my normal backyard habitat. So being surrounded with so many different views and creatures in these woods from my recent Maryland trip was heaven to me!

I sometimes wonder what we’re missing in our day-to-day lives that we just don’t see. Whether we don’t have or take the time to see them, or whether we are not in the right perspective, frame of mind, or on the correct level, what lessons about life are we missing? Is it time to schedule some quiet time each day just to breathe deeply, to have no mechanical noise so we can hear the beautiful melodies of our natural world? These are acts of restoration that are a necessary part of everyone’s life, but are often a lost art in today’s hectic pace.

Why not take a break from your computer now, push back your chair and go outside or take a walk to a nearby park or other place in nature for a short time? Look for trees, water, flowers – even a little fountain somewhere if you’re a ways from an open natural setting.

I guarantee it will refresh your soul, help your body and sense of well-being, and perhaps even give you a better perspective on things you’re trying to get a handle on. You might even be inclined to turn it into a gratitude walk or a worship walk, as you get your mind off yourself and onto the Creator of all this amazement! I hope you enjoy it so much that you make it part of every day – so that your routine is no longer so routine!

Here are a few snippets of verses to get you thinking in the right direction, in case you can't leave now, but can only take a minute vacation in your mind!

“Bless the Lord, O my soul and all that is within me, bless his holy name!”
“Worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness.”
“Even the mountains clap their hands and the rocks cry out – to praise you…”
Even if you can only walk your fingers through the book of Psalms, it will surely revive your spirit!

No comments: