Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Step Out of the Traffic!


“Be still, and know that I am God.” – Psalm 46:10 (New International Version)

One beautiful 70 degree day breaking through the usual cold of February I decided I had to get out and celebrate the sun and warmth! It seems that a few others had the same idea in mind also.

Here are a few pictures from my walk on the beach near the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel.

In the calm I felt from being away from my routine and near the water, I found a stick and wrote in the sand words God brought to my mind.
“Be still.
Know.
I am.
-God.”
Just a different way of thinking about the above verse.

I drew a heart around the words. It looked like a loveletter in the sand. So I drew a series of “Sandletters.”

I just walked along, watching the seagulls and sandpipers gliding and diving, enjoying the friskiness and curiosity of a puppy, and interacting with all the smiling beach walkers who too were enjoying the warmth of this beautiful day. In doing so, I was struck yet again with God’s great love expressed through his creations. The feelings were enhanced by the sense of peace and calm and connectedness that came over me.

How important it is for us to regularly find that place of peace and calm in our busy lives, where we come apart to get centered again on things that really matter.

As I reviewed Psalm 46 today, I decided to compare the NIV translation above to The Message, which is the Bible translation restated in contemporary language. The complete verse reads:

“Step out of the traffic! Take a long, loving look at me,
your High God, [who is] above politics, above everything.”

So today I urge you to “step out of the traffic” with all the noise of your life.

Take the time to “be still.”

In the quiet you will begin to “know” the true things that are important.
You will begin to connect with God, who can help you see yourself in a different light.

You will begin to know “I am.” God is in the moments. He is always present. If you seek him in the now you will find him there. Always.

Make your quiet connection today…


Lois

No comments: