Monday, April 13, 2009

Pirate Saga Hero


I’ve been following the drama on the high seas, as most Americans have this past week, with the pirates of Somalia versus Captain Richard Phillips.

When I first heard that the captain had willingly sacrificed his life for his crew and ship, my ears perked up. It had special meaning during this week leading up to Easter. The parallel between that and what Christ did for us was too coincidental to ignore!

As I followed the progress with latest updates on my computer screen, I continued to pray for the captain and his family. But Saturday night I was convinced that he would be freed Easter Sunday. I just felt that God was so in control, and that the dramatic symbolism of the message that was being sent to us would not be lost on the world.

Just as one normal human being like Captain Phillips was willing to lay down his life for his friends and fellow shipmates, so was Jesus willing to do the same for us.

That was his plan from the beginning. But the difference was that we were not his friends. He was truly ours, but we were so lost in our sins and evil ways that we (as a human race descended from Adam) could not even fathom the kind of sacrifice Christ was willing to make for us. We would be considered the pirates in this case! ;-)

So if Captain Phillips is a hero today, who is Jesus? He has to be at least a hero, but obviously is more than that.

My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. – John 15:12-14

Let us rejoice in the salvation of both the captain and the crew! In the meantime, you may want to take a moment to read and meditate on the powerful words of the whole chapter of John 15. They may take on greater meaning in light of this pirate and hero story.

1 comment:

Margie said...

I was thinking the same thing on the comparison between the two...yet, while we were still sinners...yet, while I was still a sinner....

Such LOVE is this for us!

Writing for eternity,
Margie